Friday, September 7, 2012

Satu Bahtera

It's rare to find things that I truly care about.
There are about 20 people (or cats) in this world of whom I would miss their presence if they are gone. The rest, I probably could live without.
And for me to care about an inanimate object or an ideology is well for the most part, quite startling; even to me.

I care about my religion, that is true. But who would have thought that the ever indifferent, refused-to-care-about-anything-to-be-cool would care about her country?
Certainly not me.

But I do care about my country. More than that really, I love Malaysia.
It's not even the kind of love you feel because you're obliged to feel it. It's real love. The kind of love that forces me to withhold my tears when I witness the 'pengisytiharan merdeka' video they played during sambutan ambang merdeka at school. The kind of love that makes me stand tall every school assembly without any sighs and complains to sing our 'Negaraku'. The kind of love that makes me swear to protect my country from harm. The kind of love that gives me the will to defend it at any cost, even my life.

It's quite severe, if I may say so myself.
But this is my home.

I'm 17. I've never been through the hardships of my nation being oppressed by a foreign power. I've never had to live in fear of being gunned down and forced to hand over my wealth to that said foreign power. I was never deprived of opportunities to make a better life for myself in my own land.

Despite not knowing what it's like to be.. oppressed in such a manner, the thought of this beloved country ever having to go through that is unthinkable.

So I'm grateful for my forefathers who've brought independence to this land. I'm grateful for I do not have to go through those hardships. I'm grateful that in Malaysia, I could find everything I need. I'm grateful that I'm happy here.

Malaysia is 55 years old this year.
Happy Birthday my love ~

I'm aware that this post is a week late. But.. I had trials. :3
And anyway Malaysia Day is on the 16th so I'm not that late.

Back to my books now~

No comments:

Post a Comment